Spooky season is here, and we know a lot of people are looking for great books to curl up with during these longer, colder nights. If this is you, and you're into speculative fiction, read on! We've compiled a list of 10 awesome fantasy and sci-fi books with autumn vibes that are perfect to read in the fall.
There's a tree-mendous likelihood you'll find one below that sends your heart fluttering like a leaf on the wind! . . . In either a good or a bad way—some of these books are more on the spooky side and some are more on the sweet side. Some have a great combo of both!
Without further ado, here's the list . . .
1. Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo: Galaxy "Alex" Stern, a young woman who can see ghosts, is recruited to monitor the occult activities of secret societies at Yale University and becomes entangled in a murder investigation with supernatural elements.
2. Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier: Jena and her sisters have a secret portal to the Otherworld, where they regularly dance with magical creatures. When their father becomes gravely ill and a charismatic but enigmatic young man enters their lives, their worlds become entwined in a tale of love, betrayal, and the preservation of their family's legacy.
3. A Deadly Education (The Scholomance #1) by Naomi Novik: In a dark and dangerous magical school, Galadriel (El) must navigate treacherous challenges and form unlikely alliances to survive, all while grappling with her own immense power and the threat of malevolent creatures lurking within the school's walls.
4. By These Ten Bones by Clare B. Dunkle: A mysterious young man comes to a small Highland town and soon wins the admiration of the weaver's daughter, Maddie. Fascinated by the silent carver, she sets out to gain his trust, only to find herself drawn into a terrifying secret that threatens everything she loves.
5. The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton: a mind-bending mystery in which the protagonist awakens in the body of different guests at a grand mansion each day and must solve the murder of Evelyn Hardcastle to escape this time-looped nightmare.
6. Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones: This Tam Lin retelling follows the story of Polly, who, through her memories, unravels a complex and magical past involving her mysterious adventures with a friend named Thomas Lynn—which enables her to save him from a supernatural threat.
7. The Devil You Know (Felix Castor #1) by Mike Carey: Felix Castor, an exorcist in a world where the supernatural is real, is drawn into a case involving a vengeful spirit and a sinister conspiracy. This forces him to confront his own troubled past and the dark forces at play.
8. Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor: Karou, a young art student in Prague with a mysterious past, becomes embroiled in a supernatural conflict between angels and chimaera while uncovering her true identity and forbidden love with an angel named Akiva.
9. Shade's Children by Garth Nix: The evil Overlords of a futuristic dystopia have declared that no one shall live past their 14th birthday. The mysterious Shade recruits escapee teenagers into his resistance force. They must discover the source of the Overlords' power to bring them down.
10. The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip: This rich, dreamily written story follows the life of Sybel, a reclusive sorceress who communicates with and cares for mythical creatures, and her journey of love, power, and the consequences of her magical abilities when she becomes entangled with the world of humans.
What's your favorite book with fall vibes? Tell us in the comments!
Also check out this list of deliciously dark fantasy and sci-fi books!
P.S. - If you loved these book recommendations, why not sign up for our newsletter? Twice a month, we'll send you a themed list of fantasy and/or sci-fi book recommendations, and sometimes music or movies too. (Not to mention jokes, games, puzzles, and memes!)
As an Amazon associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.