Having recently celebrated the Fourth of July, we were inspired to put together a list of sci-fi and fantasy books about rebellions. So here are 10 great books involving battles for independence and freedom from tyranny:
1. The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins: In a dystopian future where the Capitol forces children from twelve districts to participate in a televised battle to the death, Katniss Everdeen becomes a symbol of rebellion against the oppressive regime.
2. Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha #1) by Tomi Adeyemi: Zélie Adebola embarks on a dangerous quest to restore magic to the land of Orïsha and overthrow a ruthless monarchy, alongside her brother and a reluctant princess, while facing personal challenges and uncovering deep-rooted secrets.
3. Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms #1) by Morgan Rhodes: The destinies of four young characters in the war-torn land of Mytica are intertwined as they navigate political intrigues, power struggles, and forbidden romances, all while seeking to control the powerful ancient magical artifact known as the Kindred.
4. Crown Duel and Court Duel by Sherwood Smith: Meliara, a young countess, leads a rebellion against an oppressive king, joining forces with a group of loyal comrades to reclaim her family's stolen lands and bring justice to the kingdom, while navigating treacherous alliances and unexpected romance along the way.
5. Night Watch by Terry Pratchett: Commander Sam Vimes is accidentally sent back in time, finding himself in the midst of a revolution and tasked with preventing a catastrophic event while facing his own demons and confronting the consequences of his actions.
6. Sunbolt (Sunbolt Chronicles #1) by Intisar Khanani: Hitomi, a young thief with magical abilities, becomes entangled in a deadly political conspiracy, leading her on a quest to uncover the truth, protect those she cares about, and ultimately confront a powerful and dangerous sorcerer.
7. A Passage of Stars (Highroad Trilogy #1) by Kate Elliott: A young scholar named Kyndra finds herself unexpectedly transported to another world where she becomes entwined in a galactic conflict, discovering her hidden powers and embarking on a journey of self-discovery and resilience.
8. Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer: a futuristic retelling of "Cinderella." A cyborg mechanic named Cinder uncovers secrets about her own identity while navigating a world ravaged by a deadly plague and political tensions, ultimately finding herself at the center of a revolution.
9. Star Wars: Resistance Reborn by Rebecca Roanhorse: set after the events of The Last Jedi. The remnants of the Resistance struggle to rebuild their forces and rally new allies in the face of the resurgent First Order, with Poe Dameron and his comrades embarking on a perilous mission to gather support for their cause.
10. Under Heaven (Under Heaven #1) by Guy Gavriel Kay: In an alternate historical China, a man named Shen Tai inherits an extraordinary gift—an overwhelming number of horses—and finds himself entangled in political intrigue, treacherous alliances, and the haunting legacy of his father's past, ultimately challenging the balance of power in the empire.
11. The Plot Bandits series by Katherine Vick: Fantasy "redshirts" rebel against their almighty Taskmaster! All they want is fair treatment and a chance to follow their dreams, but their rigid societal structure dictates that they're stuck with the role they're born into. These books are perfect for fans of Terry Pratchett and other British humour!
What's your favorite book about a fictional rebellion?
P.S. - If you loved these book recommendations, why not sign up for our newsletter? Twice a month, we'll send you a themed list of fantasy and/or sci-fi book recommendations, and sometimes music or movies too. (Not to mention jokes, games, puzzles, and memes!)
As an Amazon associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.