Happy second publishing anniversary to our eighth book, Sand to Glass by Remy Apepp! Foreword Reviews calls this dark literary fantasy “a tight examination of the line between monster and human,” and other reviewers are calling Sand to Glass “beautifully written” and “stunning.” It’s perfect for fans of Anne Rice.
Need a bit more convincing to dive into the book? Then read the ten awesome quotes from Sand to Glass that we’ve compiled here!
1. Nothing seemed to matter, anymore. Rezekyrios felt distanced from himself. From his body, from his emotions, from his thoughts. The world was surreal. People were crumbling. Diyomendon was quiet hot coals spread darkly over the ground, everywhere. Naliki’s every word was like honey and salt rubbed into a wound. Nkidu came back every morning with blood on his skin that wasn’t his and some new tune he’d heard humming on his breath. King Agamenjiyr never stopped moving. High Priestess Ythiris still visited temples and prayed to the Daimmu even though they didn’t appear capable of doing very much.
2. “I don’t know if any of us will survive.” The shards of glass in Naliki’s chest hurt terribly, and she laughed and blinked away the tears that tried to bead in her eyes. “I laugh and smile so I don’t break.”
3. Diyomendon’s eyes were such blazes that they looked like they should be emitting sparks. “As if I’d do anything you told me to,” he sneered at her. “If you want to be hit that badly, then go ahead and hit yourself.”
4. “I wouldn’t equate honesty or simplicity with idiocy,” came Luxanthus’s mild reply. “Oftentimes, the idiot is the one who makes things more complicated than necessary.”
5. If Naliki asked questions straight out, all she’d ever get from people were the lies they wanted her to see. The lies that everything was okay. She needed to annoy people and get under their skin in order to see what feelings were actually lying beneath the surface.
6. Rezekyrios was easily distracted and easily agitated. It was difficult to concentrate on the words on the pages in front of him, or the words being spoken to him, when there were so many other sounds assaulting his ears, feeling like physical strikes and scratches; when the chair was uncomfortable and he couldn’t figure out how to position his body to make it better; when the light in the room was so painful to his eyes that he fought not to clench them shut; when the dark ink on the pale parchment shifted like shivering sand, quaking as if the words would bury themselves in the grains of the page like scorpions.
7. “I’d kill as many monsters as it took to see you smile again,” Luxanthus told him softly.
8. Diyomendon looked down at Rezekyrios, his grin savage and his gaze burning. “Just be you, Rezekyrios. No point trying to be something you’re not. You’ll just fail.”
9. None of Agamenjiyr’s satisfaction with his life had ever come from things being easy. All of his pride, all of his fulfillment, came from the difficult challenges he had overcome. From the things he had achieved despite incredible adversity.
10. Ythiris herself never died in these dreams. She only ever danced over corpses and ruins as the world came to an end around her. In these nightmares, she could never do anything but dance—over the ashes of Ordyuk, over the lifeless bodies of her people, her husband, her children. Their lifeless eyes stared up at her sightlessly and she danced over empty stares and stepped more cracks into their shattered bones, feeling their bodies crunch and bleed beneath her toes.
. . . Hooked yet? Grab a copy here to see how all these quotes are tied together!
Sand to Glass is book 1 of the Tales from the Mythusian Empire series, which can be read in any order. It’s available in paperback and e-book formats (DRM unlocked) on Amazon, including Kindle Unlimited.
Check out our author interview with Remy here, our official book review here, and a character interview with the royal family here.
Other articles in our Top 10 Quotes series:
The Blessed (Mythusian Empire #2)
The Disposable (Plot Bandits #1)
The Narrative (Plot Bandits #3)
The Taskmaster (Plot Bandits #4)
The Cosmic Turkey
Skate the Thief (Rag and Bone Chronicles #1)
Skate the Seeker (Rag and Bone Chronicles #2)
Painter of the Dead
As an Amazon associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.