Our newest book, Skate the Seeker by Jeff Ayers, is out now! This YA epic-fantasy adventure is the second book in The Rag and Bone Chronicles, which readers are calling “enjoyably engrossing” and “a charming story that really sinks its claws into you.” It’s perfect for fans of Six of Crows and Lockwood and Co.
Need a bit more convincing to dive into the book/series? Then read our ten favorite quotes from Skate the Seeker that we’ve compiled below!
1. “It’s coming. . . . I won’t be ready for it, and it’s coming.” He was crying; again, she couldn’t see his face, but the tears were clear in his voice. “The rupture grows in the sight of the Dark Tower, and I can do nothing to stop it. No one can.”
2. We weren’t safe near a marching army. We won’t be safe behind walls. Despite her misgivings, Skate couldn’t think of any better ideas out of their predicament. Two nights in a row drenched with death and no explanation meant it was time to run as far and as fast as they could. Even if it won’t do any good to hide there, we can at least get to a bed before we die.
3. “You’ve brought your friends and protectors on a quest you don’t understand to try to save a man you barely knew using a magical construct even trained wizards can’t identify or explain properly. What if you’re wrong? What if you’ve completely misunderstood everything you’ve done?”
4. A skittering behind Skate caught her attention as Rattle returned. It slipped into her bag. “Did you kill anyone?” she hissed at it. A spindly leg poked out and tapped her arm twice before receding. I hope that’s a “no” and not a body count.
5. Her senses told her that something was watching her from that sudden brightness. Was that the frame of a man standing there, or was it the flash in the night playing tricks on her eyes? Another flash shot out in the dark, and there was no one there. Somewhere, a wolf took up a howl. Your imagination, she told herself. That reassurance did not calm her.
6. She took out Petre to check on him, but he cautioned her against taking him out again in public. “A man in a glass ball raises questions,” he said from within his blue fog, “and the last thing we’ll need in the capital is inquisitive minds pointed our way.”
7. “So what if you’re right? The reason I want to go is that I’m bored. I hate this house, I hate this city. I have no prospects in my future, nothing worthwhile to anticipate but whatever vapid marriage my uncles, father, and grandfather choose for me. If I have to attend one more of Cousin Purtifoy’s interminable masquerades and endure another clumsy flirtatious proposition, it may kill me.”
8. “You chased someone here who could see, but she’s gone from you, forever lost. There is one with you who could see, but who will not remove the fog from his eyes. And there is one not with you who would already see, but will not understand. You must tell him.”
9. “The Pallid Ones are the topic of every Galri child’s nightmares from the time they’re old enough to learn what fear truly is. It is said that those unfortunate enough to be dragged into the White Spire are never seen again.”
10. “Two soldiers and a . . . Rattle didn’t see a man leave camp and die.” Sindale let the statement hang in the air. “And I suppose he buried himself afterward?” Pits and Block shifted under her steady gaze. “You saw the wound at his neck?”
“Torn out,” Pits said. “Like he’d been savaged by a wolf.”
. . . Hooked yet? Grab a copy here to see how all these quotes are tied together!
Skate the Seeker is perfect for fans of Six of Crows and Lockwood and Co. The Rag and Bone Chronicles series is available in paperback and e-book formats (DRM unlocked) on Amazon, and the books do need to be read in order—so start with Skate the Thief.
Check out our interview for Skate the Seeker with author Jeff Ayers here, a character interview with Captain Arun Sindale here, and our initial book review here. You can also read the first several pages of Skate the Seeker on Jeff’s website here.
Other articles in our Top 10 Quotes series:
The Blessed (Mythusian Empire #2)
The Disposable (Plot Bandits #1)
The Narrative (Plot Bandits #3)
The Taskmaster (Plot Bandits #4)
The Cosmic Turkey
Skate the Thief (Rag and Bone Chronicles #1)
Painter of the Dead
As an Amazon associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.