Happy (belated) third publishing anniversary to our second book, Hunter’s Moon by Sarah M. Awa! Reviewers are calling this urban fantasy “howlingly intense” and “emotionally strong and suspenseful.”
Need a bit more convincing to dive into the book? Then read the ten awesome quotes from Hunter’s Moon that we’ve compiled here!
1. She was about to drop into the large cavern beyond when a low, throaty growl froze her in place.
They appeared, at the far end of the dark cavern: two glowing yellow circles with deepest black at their centers.
The fiery eyes swiveled and fixed straight on her.
Sweat broke out on Melanie’s forehead. Fingers of dread traced a glissando down her spine. A scream caught in her dry throat.
2. At least it was me.
Melanie gripped the hand towel holder and leaned against the wall, not sure whether she wanted to puke or faint.
It could have been Pam.
Or Timmy, she supposed. But she didn’t want it to be Timmy either. She didn’t want it to be anyone. She didn’t want it to be herself, but if it had to be someone, Let it be me.
I can be strong. I can deal with this.
3. Hours later, Pam shook her awake. “You’re missing dinner,” she said flatly before walking away. Her shoulders were as rigid as steel girders, her back a brick wall.
Pam left for dinner without offering to wait. Mel preferred that to an interrogation. She was dressed but took her time freshening up in the bathroom. A trickle of blood issued from her nose, splattering a red bouquet across the white sink.
As she cleaned up, she remembered the rose Luis had been holding the evening she’d hurt Jos. I think I may have hurt him too. Guilt swelled, and she scowled, fed up with the feeling. If only she could wash it down the sink.
4. She hadn’t seen her pursuer, but she knew what he looked like: white lab coat. Ebony eyes behind glinting glasses. Liver-spotted hands clutching a long silver needle.
Pain stabbed her neck. She howled, hand flying up. A cold, thin spike: deep, tenacious. She yanked at it with all her might, and at last it popped out.
Blood gushed down her back and over her shoulders. She screamed and tried to staunch the flow.
Red, red. Her hands—everything was red.
Rasping laughter rang in her ears.
5. Mel knew she should be angry and creeped out, but she’d wanted this: in-person contact. She still wanted it. “I understand,” she said. Considering the Organization’s need for secrecy and security, she couldn’t blame them for going to such lengths to vet her. And Chandra had been helpful and kind.
“You must have many more questions for me,” said Chandra. “But you probably want to see a doctor first.”
“Well . . .”
A sly grin. “Except you’ve already healed.”
6. His eyes were golden when he turned their fierce gaze on her. “You’re sneaking around behind my back again?! I told you to wait!” he growled. “What part of that didn’t you understand?”
Indignation rose. “Who put you in charge of my life?!”
Before she could snatch it away, he’d ripped the note into pieces.
“You have no right!” she screamed.
“I’m just trying to help—augh!” He groaned, doubling over and clutching the doorframe.
Shit. Moonrise. “This conversation isn’t over,” Mel growled, as sparks of pain shot up her own spine.
7. Blood whooshed in his ears, and the world spun once more. He waited for the black edges to leave his vision before taking a few steps. This area of woods looked familiar, and he realized he was quite close to the clearing outside the cavern’s entrance. Sure enough, he soon reached it—and then halted abruptly.
A man with a gun loitered in front of the cave.
Dammit. Erickson retreated behind a waist-high bush. He didn’t relish the idea of confronting a stranger when he only had some mud and pine needles protecting his most vulnerable areas.
A twig snapped under his foot, and the gunman swiveled and met Erickson’s startled gaze. “Hello,” the man said calmly, as if it were the most natural thing to meet a naked stranger in the forest.
8. She prayed he wouldn’t look her way, but to her chagrin she heard his nasal voice call out, “Cutting classes lately, huh, Melody? What’s the matter? Can’t handle the pressure?”
Melanie fumed, clenching her teeth and her tray tightly. Nasty words boiled up in her mind, along with the urge to throw her baked potato at Timmy’s smug face. Then she thought of her eyes glowing yellow and of Gavin’s warning. Crap. I’ve got to be careful. Taking a deep, steadying breath, she walked away without saying a word.
Jocelyn delivered a swift riposte in Mel’s stead: “I’m surprised you can even find your way to your classes, Tommy.”
Timmy’s ears went red, and his tablemates roared with laughter. Jos beamed at them, then flounced away looking delighted with herself.
9. “Actually, I took you for a military guy.”
“Good instincts. Ex-army,” Dave said. “I was in the service, in Afghanistan, until . . .” He scooted backward and lifted his shirt, making Mel blush. He was hairier than she’d expected, but sculpted abs were visible underneath the red fuzz. Then she noticed the wicked-looking bite scar on his left side and winced. “Yeah, there was a werewolf living in those mountains, and I was on patrol the night of the full moon.”
“Do all you guys like to show off your bite marks?” Mel said off-handedly, trying to lighten the mood.
10. “Please sit down and roll up your sleeves,” said the old man, indicating the chairs. “I need a sample of your blood.”
“What?!” said Melanie and Gavin in unison. Gavin stepped protectively in front of Mel, and she clutched at the pepper spray in her pocket.
The old man regarded them calmly. “You did want to see your father again, correct?”
Gavin pulled out his phone. “I’ll get the police involved. Something tells me you’re not using this place legally.”
“Do you mean the police in town here, or the officer positioned outside your parents’ house, waiting to escort Cara off the premises?”
. . . Hooked yet? Grab a copy here to see how all these quotes are tied together!
Hunter’s Moon is perfect for fans of Kelley Armstrong and Ilona Andrews. It’s available in paperback and e-book formats (DRM unlocked) on Amazon, including Kindle Unlimited.
Check out our author interview with Sarah here, our official book review here, and a character interview with mysterious goth girl Jocelyn here.
Other articles in our Top 10 Quotes series:
As an Amazon associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.