Our newest book, The Narrative by Katherine Vick, is out now! This epically hilarious fantasy adventure is book 3 in the Plot Bandits series, which readers are calling “a rip-roaring underdog tale” and “the most fun a reader can have with getting their meta on.”
Need a bit more convincing to dive into the book/series? Then read our ten favorite quotes from The Narrative that we’ve compiled here!
1. Punishment had always been boredom, the loss of Narrative privilege, the ruining of fun. In a world with no sickness and no unnatural death, what else could punishment be?
But they’d found a way. Strut and Poniard. They’d found a way, in all but name, to kill them.
2. “You threaten me, you try to trick me and trap me and say you’ll kill me and my friends! But none of it will stop me! You say I’m predictable! I’ve gone easy on you until now! But now you’re going to see! You’re going to see how much damage to your precious bloody quest this one ordinary Disposable can do!”
3. It wasn’t so much the indignity of it...no, that was bollocks, it was the bloody indignity. Wasn’t he a man? If they’d pricked him, would he not bitch at them for hours about it? Did he not have the right not to have his body twisted, balled up, roped in place like a spineless hedgehog?
4. “I think I liked you better dishevelled.” Had he just said that? Had such words genuinely come out unbidden from his lips? And his mouth, free of the constraints of a brain partly occupied elsewhere, hadn’t finished. “You looked more yourself and less...well...a princess.”
5. “You think poncing around and telling fancy tales about a bunch of long-gone Principals is going to make us go against the First Rule? We aren’t some Narrative herd to be inspired! We’re Disposables! We just want a nice quick fight, our entrails sewn back in, and a big, frothy tankard of ale when we’re done! And we don’t want to be bloody patronised!”
6. “Why should a brief interlude in between command our entire way of life? Our ancestors adopted these roles, formed these families to please it. Why? Why must The Narrative force and mould those it catches against their nature? Why can it simply not find what is already here and let us guide it?”
7. “Here we are planning a dramatic uprising of which any Narrative would be proud and you’re still being sensible.”
“I can afford to be with a nose like this,” Dullard replied with a wry smile. “No one will ever expect me to clamber onto the battlements, waving a sword as I intone glorious rhetoric to inspire the downtrodden masses with sheer adrenaline and bravado, so I might as well plan a rebellion that involves plenty of rest and a good breakfast.”
8. People might not rise up in the name of an idea as long as they were comfortable and bread was on the table; but make their lives that bit less pleasant than they’d like and suddenly there would be anarchy. Oh, rebellions in Quests were about grand ideas and bettering the world but Flirt was under no illusions—when it came to the real world, she was sure that people would only rise up if there was something in it for them.
9. She wanted to be with him. It was embarrassing but it was true.
But only one thing, one thing in the world would make an already disconcerting experience worse. What if she’d fallen for a man blatantly her inferior who had the nerve not to feel the same?
10. They were doomed. It was obvious they were doomed. Any sane person could see it. They were so doomed that Shoulders didn’t even feel particularly angry or despairing about it, merely resigned to the grim inevitability of the doomedness. It was an oddly liberating sensation.
And yet Flirt, being Flirt, was insisting that this was a good thing.
...Hooked yet? Grab a copy here to see how all these quotes are tied together!
The Narrative is perfect for fans of Terry Pratchett and Christopher Moore. The Plot Bandits series is available in paperback and e-book formats (DRM unlocked) on Amazon, and the books do need to be read in order—so start with The Disposable, or you might lose the plot! ;)
Check out our interview for The Narrative with author Katherine Vick here, a character interview with Flirt and Shoulders here, and our initial book review here.
Other articles in our Top 10 Quotes series:
As an Amazon associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.